Tuesday 2 November 2010

Hurricane Tomas

Hurricane Tomas
Was I just to complacent? Or did I take it for granted that my lovely St. Vincent & the Grenadines is to "Blessed" to be touched by nature's hands. Boy was I wrong. With such force and such strength, it brought destruction to my lands. 

Homelessness, millions in damage yet we were lucky to escape without a single loss of life. There could have been two deaths for sure, two 'crazies' decided to venture out during the hurricane to fix a roof... What comment can I possible act to this level of foolishness? Lucky they were blown off but suffered enough injury to land themselves in the emergency room.

Agriculture has suffered a hit.  The Ministry of Agriculture here has began it's assessment work. The extent of the damage can severely affect the already struggling banana industry of SVG. Yet let us hope against all hope.

St. Vincent October 31, 2010
Spoke to Sis, a farmer by profession who stated the extent of the damage to her home.. So sad. The suffering all around is just heart wrenching...

Can I tell you it get's better? Can I dare state it will be alright? Do I have the audacity to tell you to be grateful for life? What can I offer by way of comforting words? Perhaps offering my ears as I listen to your stories of loss... 

As we rebuild, let us dig deep for a glimmer of hope, not only for ourselves but for all of us no matter our circumstance.

By Sustang D Fergus



No comments:

Post a Comment