Monday 7 February 2011

Is Tourism the Driving Force of any Economy?

Now I know I have been missing in action from here, and it has been a long time... way to long.
I just two weeks at an all inclusive massive hotel. The hotel gave me all that I can eat and drink anytime of the day and night. I had a ball of a time.  
Sitting under the coconut tree enjoying my tropical rum drink, with a spectacular view of the ocean (nothing in sight to disturb my thoughts), during my indulgence, it struck me that every day I am only seeing the same people morning, noon and night. Just the visitors and workers.
A couple questions came out of tipsy head:
1.       What benefits do all inclusive hotels bring to the surrounding communities?
2.       Where does my food come from, is it from the local farmers or is it all imported?
3.       As a visitor what report can I bring back home about the country, is this what the entire looks like?
I am sure outside those walls; the reality will be far different and even too much for me bear.
Now when a tourist visits a country, they hardly get a clue what is taking place there. Most times the hotels are not even from local investors. The sad reality is that foreign investors do get easier access than the locals in many ways because of trade relations. (I will emphasize on sure topic later).  
Foreign hotel =foreign purchases=monies will remain/ go foreign. The foreign cycle continues will little for the host country.
It time our Governments of the region wake and realise that Tourism takes a way a huge slice of the economic gains.
Solution:  Any economy needs to try to develop locally, feed the people first, then education, after anything else.
Please don’t get me wrong I appreciate the time, there but reality is reality and feed one billion people is a dream can be done once our leaders make it their priority to invest in sustainable small scale agriculture. Don’t just give me free food, but teach me how to grow my own, so I don’t become dependent on donors for the rest of my life. PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry for the bad English but I need to get this out in any way possible. I will continue as my thoughts become clearer.
Have a bless week. This song is your understanding....



No comments:

Post a Comment