Tuesday 16 November 2010

Why Stake?

Took a look at my backyard garden,.... I have a lot of work ahead of me this weekend. Not only do I have to do a lot of "weeding' and 'turning' of the soil, I definitely have a lot more staking to do.

Staking? What is that? It is the art of driving a stake into the ground next to, and as a support for a plant. It is important that support is offered to our garden plants. Oftentimes we forget this vital element.

By doing this, plants are prevented from toppling, flopping, bending or getting uprooted by the wind. Believe me not every gardener enjoys this task.

Here are some pointers for effective staking


- Basic components - a pole, string and rubber tubing

- Use durable materials - bamboo, timber, metal or plastic

- Insert stake deep enough so that it stands up sturdily.

- Stake height must be taller than  plant after being driven into the ground

- String must be threaded through a short length of rubber hose -helps to prevent the string from cutting into your plant’s stem.

You will be amazed at the transformation that will occur after a few hours of dedications.. Maybe just a couple minutes give or take.


One of my favourite site: http://www.ehow.com/how_172742_stake-plant.html

       Go On.. Dig In
Sustang D. Fergus

No comments:

Post a Comment